Cheese-making, it’s my latest obsession. This one is cashew based Alouette-style spreadable cheese. I bet omnivores won’t notice a difference.
I can hardly wait for my mold order to arrive. Up next: Vegan Brie and Camembert, and if those work Blue Cheese is next!!
• 1 cup raw cashew pieces, covered with boiling water & soaked for 30 min, then drained and rinsed
• 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
• 1/8 tsp lactic acid
• 1/16 tsp vegan rennet
• 1 probiotic capsule
• distilled water for processing
1) add cashews to blender and just barely cover with water, then add all ingredients EXCEPT PROBIOTIC & process until smooth and creamy
2) open probiotic capsule and pour about 1/2 of the contents into mason jar, add cheese mixture, then remaining probiotic powder. Mix gently with plastic or wood spoon
3) cover jar with breathable cloth or nourished essentials fermenting lid & set jar on kitchen counter out of direct sunlight and away from drafts & leave it alone for 3 days. If you must test taste its progress use a clean, preferably non-metal utensil
4) line a mini springform pan with cheesecloth and scoop cheese into it, leveling the top with a spatula. Cover with breathable fabric and leave it on the counter for a few more days.
5) check culturing progress by gently lifting cheesecloth from pan. If the cheese doesn’t hold its shape you can place it in the fridge and give it a few more days. If it’s still too soft you can drain the whey using cheesecloth. When it will hold its shape, gently remove cheesecloth from pan and place cheese on parchment paper lined covered non-metallic storage container, sprinkle top and sides with non-iodized salt & return to fridge.
6) once daily turn cheese over onto a clean piece of parchment paper. During this first turning salt the remaining side
7) periodically test taste a tiny bit. When you’re happy with the flavor it’s done and ready to be enjoyed
Note: I’ve no idea how long it will keep in the fridge because it disappears in less than a week!