ChickWheat BBQ is sure to satisfy the meat-eating omnivores in your life without harming a single animal. Adapted from AvocadoAndAles.com.
• 300g (about 2 cups) cooked chickpeas or butter beans (cold, don’t use warm)
• 1 cup water
• 2 tbsp chicken stock powder
• 2 tbsp chickpea miso
• 1 tbsp onion powder
• 1 tbsp garlic powder
• 1 tbsp mushroom powder
• 1 tsp vinegar
• 225g vital wheat gluten
1. Place all ingredients in stand mixer or food processor and mix/process for several minutes until a stretchy dough forms, then continue to mix/blend a few minutes more to ensure the finished loaf will shred while avoiding a gritty texture. It’s ok if some of the chickpeas remain partially intact
2. Turn the dough out onto a large piece of parchment paper & fold it to seal it closed
3. Add 1 cup water to Instant Pot and insert steamer rack. Place parchment packet on top of rack, set Instant Pot for to STEAM for 120 minutes
4. When roast is finished cooking, quick release the pressure, and allow to come to room temperature. Remove parchment paper when roast is cool enough to touch.
5. Split roast in half; shred gently along the grains that were formed by the food processor, until entire roast is shredded. Refrigerate for best texture.
6. When ready to cook, sauté or add at the end of recipes with high moisture content (soups or stews) otherwise use as you would any other meat alternative.