Cream of Roasted Fennel and Cauliflower Soup
I am not a fan of fennel, but when I ended up with two bulbs (thank you, MisFits Market) I had to come up with something worthy of my palate.
My first fennel concoction went straight into the trash and left me believing I was destined to dislike fennel forever. I came close to tossing the 2nd bulb, but at the last minute I opted to try something completely different.
Somehow, the combination of ingredients in this recipe created a rich and creamy soup that doesn’t taste like fennel or cauliflower. Instead the result is decadently delish, so much so that I’d swear it contained butter if I hadn’t made it myself. For texture, next time I’ll had cooked cubed potato to the finished soup and perhaps a dash of liquid smoke. I bet taste-testers would think it’s baked potato soup!
• 1 medium head of cauliflower, divided into florets
• 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup raw cashews
• 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
• 3 cups water
Suggested Optional Ingredients
• 1 large potato, cooked and diced
• 1/2 – 1 tsp liquid smoke
1. Roast cauliflower and fennel in 400 degree oven until the cauliflower is lightly browned on top
2. Add the water, cashews, garlic and roasted veg to a high powered blender and process until creamy smooth
3. Gently stir in optional ingredients if using
4. Serve piping hot